Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

ANOTHER DUX MYSTERY CLEARED UP

We recently received an e-mail from George Drummond who was a past Dux at Newlands and who's name appears on the famous Medallist Board. See the post about the Dux Medallists about 10 Posts down from here. He is the 6th one listed on the board and held the Dux for June 1944. We had an idea that he had moved over to the Calgary area of Canada, but could not confirm this at the time, but now we know. He later went into medicine and his son also followed this profession.
Here is his e-mail sent to the blog:-
......My name is George Drummond, born 1932 and lived at 45 Edmiston St. I went Newlands from 1936 till 1943 ( I may be out by a year ) and was the Dux Medallist.
Then I went to Allan Glen's school on a scholarship and then to Glasgow University where I graduated in Medicine in 1956. I was an Intern at Greenock Royal Infirmary for a year and then was conscripted into the army RAMC as a lieutenant for 2 years. I served with a Field Ambulance unit; the 2nd-- 10th Gurkhas and 3rd Battalion Royal Australion Regiment and was a Captain when my army service was over. After my military service I was a General Practitioner for a year in Appleby, Westmoreland, England.
In 1960 I emigrated to Canada and for 4 years I was a Resident in the Department of Anaesthesia at the University Hospital in Edmonton Alberta. I obtained my FRCP Canada in this specialty in 1964 and was a Consultant at this hospital for 2 years until I moved to the Foothills Hospital (Alberta) as a Consultant in 1966.
After 10 years at Foothills, I moved to the Calgary General Hospital and eventually became Head of Anaesthesia there as well as at the Peter Lougheed Hospital.
I retired in 1985 and now live in a small country town in south Alberta called Magrath. I play golf here and visit my daughter and her kids who live here. She is married to a town GP. My son is the Head of Pediatric ENT Surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Calgary.

George Drummond,
Magrath, Alberta, Canada
2008

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to find that Newlands Primary produced so many bright youngsters - many of whom made themseves lives where they were dedicated to helping others, often less fotunate. Makes me proud to have gone to Newlands, though I certainly never came near the fabulous DUX MEDAL!.
Well done, George Drummmond, for your achievements.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you went away to Canada Geore we could have used a man with your skills here - but we all have free will and you chose to travel to Canada. I'm sure you havehad a happly life there anyway.
I enjoyed hearing about your story after you left Newlands.

Anonymous said...

I remember George Drummond from my Parkhead days. He was a year older than me at Newlands so I was not in his class, but he went to the same BB. He turned out to be far cleverer than the rest of us from those long ago days.
John Davidson
Bournemouth, England

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter