Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

MS. JEAN BRODIE at Newlands?__ by DAVID TEMPLETON

Former Newlands' lad David Templeton sent us a very comprehensive and interesting account of his years at Newlands and Parkhead. It's printed here for the enjoyment and edification of all our Newlands bloggers......

DAVID TEMPLETON wrote ....
............Hello. I stumbled across NEWLANDS BLOG by chance tonight and couldn't believe some of the wonderful stories about my old primary school, as well as great pictures of the Parkhead area where I spent my first 12 years. Thank you so much for capturing the history of the place in which I spent my formative years. I'll let my own two sons have a look at the site (albeit most of the entries seem to be from folk who are a good bit older than me!)

My name is David Templeton and I attended Newlands Primary from around 1969 until 1977, before leaving to complete one year at Riverside Senior Secondary. Our family then moved to East Kilbride and that move effectively brought to a close my association with the east end.

We lived at 1358 DUKE STREET in the last close on the right hand side of Duke Street - right on Parkhead Cross, above the Clydesdale Bank. Although the close entrance for 1358 was at the top of Duke Street, our flat looked into the Gallowgate, down Springfield Road, up Tollcross Road and Westmuir Street and also into Duke Street itself. It was a terrible place to bring up a young family (I had two younger brothers) because we only had a high back court to play in. Both my brothers went to Newlands primary too, although only for a short period of time.

We were regular attenders at Calton Old Parish Church in Helenvale Street. My dad was an Elder and a BB Officer and I attended Sunday school, Shipmates, Junior Section and one year of Company Section in the BB - the famous 67th Company. My old man worked in Begg Cousland, also known as the Springfield Wire Works.

The Newlands' class teacher I remember most was Mrs. Gibson whose first name may have been Eleanor.
Mrs. Gibson was simply superb and prepared her class for the transition from primary to secondary in an exemplary fashion. She also inspired me, and several of my classmates, to "stick in" against all the odds, and ultimately progress to university.

She was Newlands' version of Ms. Jean Brodie !

I will look for any of my old class photos, or those of my younger brothers, which may have survived - and will email them for the blog.
Kindest regards,
David
Templeton
___________________

*Ed/Admin note: David, what a great gift you have shared with us about NEWLANDS. It is truly inspiring to find that you gained an appreciation for Learning under the Leadership of a teacher like Mrs. Gibson, who proved to be a good mentor for you. You obviously made the best of her personal dedication to her students. Thank You for this very thoughtful contribution. Please let us have a wee photo of you to show alongside your story. And if we could show your email contact info it would make it easier for someome from your class to get in touch with you after reading your Post.
Many thanks David,
from LIZ~ (aka Scotbandit604@hotmail.com )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David, great stuff, Sounds very familiar to me indeed. We left there in 1969 and I'm trying desperately to recall what number Duke street we lived at.

Ours was the close alongside the newsagents and just before the butchers and Bunty's shop on the right hand side as you look up Duke st towards parkhead Cross. but right at the top of Duke street. I'm not sure if it was the last or last but one.

I have some photo's of there which I took last year - street, close and yard if you are interested.

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter