Newlands Primary School

Newlands Primary School
The generous LORD NEWLANDS donated this fine building in1896. He instructed the stonemasons to carve 'NEWLANDS PUBLIC SCHOOL' into the sandstone. Welcome all visitors! Click on the link "COMMENTS" below each Post to read what others have to say. And leave a Comment of your own too while you're here!

Friday, September 14, 2007

Great Eastern Road - Parkhead


This entry was prompted by the request of Shiela McDermid for photo's to be taken of the area where her mother lived in Parkhead. Her mother lived in Great Eastern Road. Not a lot of people nowadays know that this was the original name of the part of the Gallowgate from Parkhead Cross, westward to Fielden St just beyond Camlachie.

.


The picture above shows the bank building at the corner of Duke St. and the Gallowgate (formerly Great Eastern Road). The reason I know about this is that my mother and several of her sisters were a born in Great Eastern Road, yet some of her younger sisters (who were born in the same house) were born in the Gallowgate. From birth dates, we can tell that this name change took place between 1925 and 1929.



The picture on the right shows the Anchor Bar at 1401 Gallowgate, at the corner of Ewing Place, this pub bears an inscription with the date 1904 shown on it. So this bar would originally have had an address on Great Eastern Road.







The picture on the left shows The Old Black Bull pub at 1316 Gallowgate near Elba Lane. I am not sure about the date of this pub, but it has been there since I was a nipper.
The main entrance to the Barrs Iron Bru factory was through a pen at the right side of this pub and I remember that the lights at this entrance were in the form of huge soda syphons on the wall.
.
* * * *

THE OFFER OF FREE PICTURES STILL STANDS

SEE THE POST ABOUT 12 FURTHER DOWN.

* * * *




4 comments:

Gary T. Nolan said...

Good sharp clear photos Brian.
The other photos you're taking for people who live in other countries is the best offer I've heard of on the Internet.
That lady (Sheila) who wrote in to thank you for all your running around has reminded the rest of us looking around the blog to give a word of Thanks now and then. And you do all of this photography purely as a Gift on a Volunteer basis, and not asking for money.
Nice one Brian.

I used to be among the list of schoolboy burglars who climbed into the Irn Bru factory. I just hope the polis are no reading this.

Anonymous said...

def a story there for another time eh Gary I know I have a couple

Anonymous said...

Boaby,
would you stop teasing us, and tell us the damn story man!
cheers....

Unknown said...

As a former pupil at Parkhead Public I feel like a spy, but have thouroughly enjoyed all the old Newlands and Parkhead stories.

I am interested in addresses at gt eastern road.I have ancestors who lived there around 1900 and have their street address but dont know how they relate to the new numbers given when changed to Gallowgate and Tollcross rd.Do you know the old number and new number for your mother,s house?That would help me to narrow it down.

My cousins the Neills(from Ardgour St) went to Newlands,so maybe somebody remembers them(over the time period of about 1937-1945

My sister Myra and I went to Parkhead (we lived on Salamanca St.Which barely exists now.

Did you know Duke st in parkhead used to be New Rd and Dervaig St used to be Grey St

I hope you can help me with those addresses.

Your pics are great, (my gggfather David McNaught lived on Elba lane about 1850)

David Kilgour

 

Web Counters
Hit Counter